Home News SAPS intensify Westbury suspect hunt

SAPS intensify Westbury suspect hunt

by Thaabit Kamaar
Image Source: News24

Local – The South African Police Service (SAPS) is working around the clock to track down those responsible for the mass shooting that left two teenagers dead and four others injured in Westbury. 

The attack, believed to be gang-related, sent shockwaves through the community, with police deploying specialised units to curb escalating gang violence in the area.

National Commissioner Fannie Masemola said all available police resources had been mobilised to find the teenage suspects believed to be behind the deadly incident.

“It’s just a matter of time before we track down these teenagers. Our crime intelligence operatives, detectives and uniformed police are on the ground actively searching for these suspects at various areas of interest,” said Masemola.

The shooting, which took place on Tuesday, involved six teenagers aged between 14 and 19 who were members of a rival gang who were allegedly attacked. 

Two victims—18-year-old Tigan Du Plessis and 17-year-old Diegan Ryters—were declared dead on arrival at the hospital, while the remaining victims are still receiving medical care.

Police Crack Down on Gang Networks

The Commissioner said police were also focusing on the illegal flow of weapons and drugs, fueling violence in the province. 

He stressed that investigations were underway to determine how firearms were reaching children as young as 13.

“We are also investigating the source of where these firearms are coming from and how children as young as 13 years old have access to these firearms,” Masemola stated.

He warned gang leaders that law enforcement was closing in on those exploiting vulnerable children to commit crimes. Masemola said older gang members were using minors as “runners” to evade justice, adding that the police were determined to hold them accountable.

“We are indeed focusing on these handlers and surely, we will find them and make them answer as to why they are destroying the future of these young children.”

Ongoing Anti-Gang Efforts

According to SAPS, the Gauteng Anti-Gang Unit has made significant progress, arresting 176 suspects between June and September 2025 for serious crimes, including murder, drug trafficking, and firearm possession.

Masemola urged communities to stand united with law enforcement, adding, “Our deployments remain in place, and we urge all these communities to work closely with the police to put an end to gang violence.”


Related Videos