Faizel Patel – The Thulsie twins have entered into a plea and sentencing agreement with the state. Brandon-Lee and Tony-Lee Thulsie appeared again in the Johannesburg High Court on Monday after the case was postponed three weeks ago. It is unclear what agreement was reached between the twins and the state.
The brothers were supposed to go on trial on Monday after their case was delayed several times for a number of reasons, including their legal teams being changed. They were arrested during raids in Azaadville and Newclare in Johannesburg in July 2016 after being accused of planning attacks on Jewish and American interests in South Africa.
The Twins lawyer, Nadeem Mohammed told Salaamedia there were many consultations regarding the plea agreement.
“The state and defence decided that the plea and sentence agreement that was proposed and counter proposed were in the best interests of the accused. There’s various portions of it which are confidential by virtue of the nature of the private and confidential agreement that was provided. But once all that comes to the fore, then we can discuss that with a little more feel with the media.”
Last month political party Al Jama-ah said it was concerned with the prolonged detention of the Thulsie twins without trial, six years after they were arrested.